10 Dec Eye Tracking Methodology: Before a Click comes a Look
Marketing researchers have long used the eye-tracking technique to determine what features of product advertising and packaging attracts buyer attention. Advances in Eye tracking technology have allowed testers to determine eye movement and eye-fixation patterns to evaluate the usability of their screen layouts and visual appeals.
Before a click comes a look, and according to new research, advertisers are often wrong about what attracts our attention. The effectiveness of any successful advertisement relies on understanding how the eye moves across a page, why it is drawn to particular areas, and what causes a viewer to linger at a given spot. You can apply the basics of these conversion and eye movement techniques even when you are getting your own website designed and see if your web design company uses these concepts.
Applied and experimental studies have stemmed from classical and renaissance artists that investigate visual attention and eye movements to gain insight in eye movement control, cognition and attention, which is now being used for design evaluation of visual stimuli.
Coming into the 21st century , modern research suggests that as soon as attention moves to a new position, the eyes follow. For those that buy, sell and plan digital advertising , away from the numbers-driven reporting that digital advertising is , it is now steeped in towards softer insights that explore and understand the why as well as the what.
Eye Trackers does some things well , others Not
Usability findings have stated that, eye trackers can:
– Tell whether users are looking at the screen or not
– Differentiate reading from scanning for particular words or phrases.
– Learn the relative intensity of a user’s attention to various parts of a web page.
– Determine whether a user is searching for a specific item. Pupil diameter appears to increase
– When users are not sure what words they are looking for.
Eye trackers cannot:
– Let you know whether users actually ‘see’ something.
– Prove that users did not see something (Users can acquire information through peripheral vision).
– Determine why users are looking at something.- Test everybody (there are certain constraints which make certain persons unfit to be tested)
Eye-tracking measures can enrich our understanding of what emotional reactions consumers experience when they see an ad. An integrated approach can identify a relationship between a marketing communication and emotions. We thus can identify which emotional reaction is triggered by each ad element.